Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Administrate is a training management platform used by hundreds of companies around the world to plan, design, deliver, and measure learning and development for their employees and customers. Our mission is to provide an industry-leading platform that enables enterprises to run their training function more efficiently and effectively so that they can focus more on connecting with people than administrating programs.
Our platform has evolved a lot in recent years, taking us up market, squarely into the enterprise tech space. We’re delighted with the success we’ve experienced so far, and we enjoy working together. Our headquarters are in Edinburgh, Scotland's capital city. We also have offices in Beirut, Lebanon and in Bozeman, Montana and other team members working remotely around the world.
It's our dream at Administrate to be the Ultimate Human Organization. We might build software, but that's not the only area where we add value to our customers; our people are what make us and our customers successful. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because we believe it makes our company stronger. If you share our values we'd love to hear from you.
Who You Are
You're passionate about what you do. Always searching for a challenge, always looking to improve, you found yourself puzzle and problem-solving from an early age, and reaching a solution wasn’t enough for you. You were constantly striving to do it better and faster.
You creatively code and work on your own great stuff for fun, but at work you choose standards and reuse, because teams are not just one person, and you don't reinvent the wheel.
You're striving for perfection, but grounded in reality, getting the job done comes first, but it's never something to hide behind, because you don't do 'ok'. If something isn't working you say why, and how to sort it.
You're honest to a fault.
You love to work with great people and understand that small teams, dynamic companies and flexible working environments are unparalleled.
You are keen to develop and grow your career and skills with a passion for learning and continuous improvement. You're also passionate about the development of others and have solid experience of managing people.
What You'll Do
You'll be part of our Engineering team, specifically in the test automation space, defining and adding to a reusable and repeatable automation test framework that supports our business critical applications with real customers around the world. You'll be part of a cross functional team of Software Engineers, focused on delivering for our customers, helping solve problems and supporting the growth and development of your colleagues. Your specific role will support the engineering process by first creating an automation framework for automation tests and secondly through delivering coded automated tests for browser based applications in a CI/CD environment.
You'll take ownership of your work. You’ll be given significant autonomy to define our automation strategy and innovate in that space. You’ll be the advocate and catalyst within the engineering team for creating a well architected automation framework, defining our test case strategy and be a strong contributor to automation test case coverage for our code base. Your efforts will underpin our ability to deploy code in a truly agile fashion. True to our company values of Always Improving and Built on Team, we're all about collaboration and our teams review and test each other's code, provide feedback regularly and share best practice.
You will be responsible for:
- Working directly with our architects on defining a best in class automation tools and test framework to be used organisation wide
- Coded automation testing
- Developing test cases based on functional and technical requirements
- Integration and monitoring of automation test suites in our CI/CD pipeline
- Working closely with engineering team and product team
- Advocate for high quality standards within your team
- Coach and mentor other team members as we scale up our testing efforts
What we’re looking for:
- Five or more years of relevant experience in automation test space
- Previous experience designing and architecting test automation frameworks with demonstrated examples of strong ownership on testing direction of your organization in your previous role.
- Strong experience in authoring code for test automation framework
- Advanced knowledge of Web/UI cross browser testing strategies for modern UI frameworks
- Strong understanding of testing fundamentals and best practises - development of test cases, edge case and boundary testing, smoke tests, regression tests and defining/testing non-functional application requirements.
- Experience in a CI/CD environment maintaining ‘green board’’ policies, and driving test coverage statistics and defect reporting.
- Strong experience in Unit Testing.
- Advanced level understanding of Object Oriented/SOLID Design principles and practises and their application as design patterns in automated testing.
- Strong database development experience for data set up and verification - in high volume, high throughput environments.
- Experience with test case management tools such as Test Rail.
- Strong experience in agile/lean methodologies and processes (ideally Kanban or scrum) leading process improvements and engineering disciplines.
- Experience managing defect backlogs and requirements management with tools such as JIRA.
- Experience with Git or related source control tools
Technologies We Use
We use Python for all new server-side code, running in the Flask framework. We use a variety of other technologies for example MySQL, React, and GraphQL. If you have experience in similar technologies such as Ruby on Rails, PHP, Java, or Node.js and are willing to pick up our stack, please apply! We believe a diverse range of backgrounds strengthens our team.
What You'll Get
- Enjoy working as part of a talented team where everyone’s input is valued
- An unrivalled work/life balance – you work a 4-day, 32-hour, week but get paid for 5 days!
- Generous annual leave package
- Great tools – MacBook, 27” monitor, mechanical keyboard etc
- Retirement savings
- Life assurance of 4 times salary
- Flexible working schedule
- Entirely private and confidential access to our resident therapist